STP 2005

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Friday afterwork bike ride

The weather in the Seattle area has been very unusual for February.  It’s been very rain-free which is great for bikers.  The only downside is that in the morning the temperature has been hovering around 30 degrees (f).  That’s too cold for me to think about riding into work.  I see a few others doing it in the morning, but I just don’t have all the right apparel yet to do that.  (I did look for some bike jackets but find a relatively inexpensive one in my size proved impossible…..I’ll keep looking though.)

 

At work we wrapped up a little early on Friday.  I got home just after 4pm and decided to take a ride.  It was 51 (F) out which was warm enough for me to ride without the leg warmers.  I suited up and headed out deciding to ride around Phantom Lake….which is a nice play on words since I’m riding a Phantom-Cross.  (I’ll see if I can post a map of the route somehow)

 

According to my Cateye:

 

Distance:  10.5 miles

Max Speed: 33mph

Average Speed: 10.6mph

Time: 1.01 hrs

 

There were several big hills that I really struggled with.  I came close to having to step off the bike, but was able to push through.  I think I was spent more then I expected as I did a long 60 min Spinning Class in the morning and my legs had not fully recovered.

 

It was great to get out in the fresh air….although between 4pm and 5pm I learned is a terrible time to bike the loop I took.  I live close to Microsoft in Redmond Washington, and there was A LOT of traffic.  I need to get use to riding in traffic, but I would rather build up the bike time in a little less stressful environment to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home