STP 2005

Monday, February 14, 2005

Introductions

This blog will be used to capture some of my thoughts and feelings as I begin to train for the Seattle to Portland Bike Ride this year. STP is put on by the Cascade Bicycle Club.

Hi, my name is Daryl Welsh. In November 2004 I started a program to change my life, it’s called the 20/20 Lifestyles program. It is a comprehensive exercise, diet and psychological program to help people lose weight and get healthy. I’ve been on the program for 15 weeks, and have lost 55 pounds in that time frame, going from 320lbs to 265lbs. The structured part of the program will end in another 12 weeks and I wanted to have something to keep me going after so I can maintain the awesome momentum I’ve started over the last few months.

I decided to do the STP ride for a number of reasons…..

1) I need to have something to push for to maintain my success with the 20/20 program.
2) It seems like an attainable physical challenge. I say attainable because other challenges like a marathon or a triathlon seem way too extreme right now. I’m still technically ‘morbidly obese’ and I have no mistaken visions of running five blocks let alone 26 miles.
3) I like solo type sports. Golf being my current favorite, but biking fits in well as a solo sport. At the end of the day it is just me and the bike and nobody else to blame for any problems.
4) It sounds fun. I’ve read a lot of people’s reports on their rides (like Jim Carson’s) and they make it sound so fun. Challenging of course but fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home